Monday 25 June 2012

Rest night

I think tonight's going to be a rest night. I am pretty tired, additionally, my right hip's been killing me.

Got quite alot done last week. Stripped the engine, finished the cockpit etc etc. Read on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine:

Although the engine's has been running fine (on the past 2 occasions I drove the car), I did find a couple of small globules of oil in the radiator. So the idea was to strip it and check out the head gasket - well, that and also to see if I can fix the crank.

First thing when the pistons came off, the bores were in really good condition. However, the head for some reason wasn't complete flat. 

Here's using a sharpening stone to id high points.

Well, that gonna need machining to get it flat. So off to the machinist with that.


Pistons, rings and all bearings look pretty good with no sign of detonation.

Crankshafts gotta come out.


The issue with the crankshaft mentioned earlier was a chipped keyway.

To resolve this, I'm taking the solution from dai-16T on Ozhonda. An extended keyway, a machined timing belt pulley (sorry, can't locate a USDM unit). An extended woodruff key is on its way from the UK! and from the alternator of a 1945-1983 Triump. Yay.

So, what next, probably get new bearings since the engine is out, a thicker head gasket..have to search for this...Ebaaaayyyyyy..

I swear more than 3/4 of the items on this car were bought off Ebay. Its just so convenient to have things delivered straight to you especially when time poor - and the prices are pretty competitive too. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The driver's seat

While waiting for the engine and head bits, I decided to finish up the cockpit - and always wanted to wire up the defi advance system so its within easy reach instead of somewhere on the dash.

Underneath the defi unit is the brake bias adjuster.  


Thanks Ten for the beaut of a steering wheel.

Mounted the seat and the harness. 


This is a first for me, usually the seat goes in on the day before any event and the harness adjusted on the 2nd run of the day after finding out on the 1st run that the buckle is close to my neck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and finally, yesterday...

I started work on mounting the radiator and intercooler.

I swear the best tool I've bought is the welder, well the air compressor too I guess.

So, this is how the radiator mounted from the back.

The front

With the bumper on...

Come to think of it, I probably have overkilled on the holes in the bumper. There's gonna be some serious blocking off to ensure that air goes where its supposed to go.

Watch this space.












No comments:

Post a Comment